Monday, December 31, 2007

My homemade Christmas ornaments

I have been looking for quite some time now, in my efforts to make Christmas more Christ-centered, a set of ornaments to help the kids remember what Christmas is all about. But since I have not been able to find any out there, I decided to start this ornament project right before Maddie was born -- a set of 24 ornaments, each symbolizing a key event in the Bible and Book of Mormon, from the time of Adam and Eve, up to the time of the Savior's birth.

So, for example: Adam and Eve - a globe; Abraham - starry night; Noah - rainbow (you could do ark); Moses -- two tablets of stone; Jacob - ladder; Isaiah - live coal; Mary - lily (symbol of purity); John the Baptist - dove (symbol of baptism); Samuel the Lamanite - wall/arrow; Story of faithful Nephites who were going to die if the signs of the Savior's birth didn't come to pass - sword; Savior's Birth - manger and star;

I used as inspiration the Jesse tree (thanks to my Catholic roots :)), modified the design and added a couple of Book of Mormon stories. The ornaments are made out of felt. Every day starting on December 1, the kids hang an ornament on a 3-ft Christmas tree, and read the story/scriptures that go with the symbol. On Christmas Eve, it will be Luke 2, and maybe a couple of Christmas songs before hanging the last of the ornaments -- the manger/star.

I didn't get to finish all of the ornaments since I had a bad case of pregnancy-induced carpal tunnel syndrome -- my mom helped me to finish a bunch of them while she was here. When she left on December 20, we still had quite a few to go. She took the finished and unfinished ornaments to the Bahamas so she could finish sewing them for me, and then make a complete set for Anna. I will get to have them in my possession again when she visits in July. I can't wait!!!

No comments: