Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Read the Scriptures!


I found another neat way to read the scriptures, that is, if you're like me and check your email a few times each day or check email before you go to bed, or blog, take the time out to read a friend's blog, etc., you get the idea. There is a website called Read The Scriptures (http://www.readthescriptures.com/) (maybe they need to pay me for blogging about them??) . I found it while reading my LDS Living Online magazine. So I thought I'd give it a try.


The site lets you pick a book of scripture (Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, D&C) that you want to read, create a custom schedule (e.g. mine is to read the Book of Mormon in 250 days) and then it emails you your reading everyday. Once you complete your reading you click on the "Completed" button at the bottom of the email and then it automatically records your progress. If you miss your reading or not click on the completed button, it will send you a reminder that tells you YOU ARE BEHIND! You can read ahead, then feel good since it'll tell you that YOU ARE AHEAD of SCHEDULE! I know, whoever thought about this whole concept is awesome. So far I love it.


Other things that I found that were great:

1. They give you a link to listen to the audio version of the chapter (provided by our Church website lds.org). The link is found in the email so it is very easy to do!

2. When you click on the "Completed" button it shows you your progress, and then a neat quote by Church leaders appears at the bottom. Today I got one by Joseph Smith.

3. If you like to mark scriptures, it will let you mark your online scriptures (you have to sign in to your account to do this) but it will keep your markings until you are done reading the book of scriptures. Color choices: 12! and you can make notes too, and search those notes later. I will have to check to see if I can print my scripture notes and highlighted pages after I'm done with them. That would be perfect.

4. You can read in teams (perfect for families - keep tabs on each other).

5. Aside from the Standard Works, you can even do a schedule for Scripture Stories (our picture book scriptures for kids).

Cons:

1. Although the emailed reading is the same as the official online version, they omitted the cross-reference links and footnotes but you can find those on the official online version on lds.org.

2. No chapter headings, however if you click on the audio version (provided by lds.org), you will be able to hear it.

I guess if I can spend time looking at and reading a friend's blog or check my email a few times a day, I can read my scriptures too. No more excuses!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds awesome...I will try it!

Mimi Collett said...

I have been using that site for over a year now, and it definitely works for me to have it e-mailed. One of the things you mentioned in your cons section is what I miss the most: the chapter headings. My favorite part is the daily reminder and the quote it rewards you with upon completion. :)