Allie's first day at Chaparral Elementary went pretty well (we chose to send her here because it is only a mile from our house). It is a new school so it looks very nice, and very big, at least compared to Rock Canyon. So it was a little overwhelming, even for me. There are four big buildings and three big playgrounds where the kids line up in the morning before class (there are 1000). School starts at 8 and ends right after 3.
Allie was a little nervous and scared (who wouldn't be?). I walked her to her classroom and met her teacher, explained we were new in the state. She was pretty nice and new to the school also (I'm not sure if that's all entirely good). I left the school thinking that we are definitely NOT in UT anymore -- big school, no crisp Fall air, and although there is a good number of LDS students, they are not the majority. Although I didn't cry, I started missing her when I left the parking lot. I will miss all the Hannah Montana karaoke days (yes, all day!).
Allie came home and told us she had fun! She likes her new school and made friends by asking if they were Mormon. One of the girls, Arianna said, "No, I'm Italian!" Some said, "What's that?!" She did make two friends -- Arianna and Lexie. She found two LDS boys in her class (not in our ward) - she didn't care to know their names, she said she saw their CTR rings and rubber bracelets that read "I am a Child of God". She also got to write an essay about what she would do if she had $1 million. She wrote "first, I will pay tithing to my bishop". She had to explain what tithing was to her friend. Definitely lots of missionary opportunities at school. It will be a great year!


4 comments:
Wow! What a strong missionary!! I am so glad she likes her school. I meant to ask her how it went.
So cute. I can't believe how grown up she looks.
Rinna! I've been checking your blog every day hoping you had internet again. I'm so glad to hear that the new school experience went well. What a growing experience for Allie. She looks so grown up! Best of luck to you both! I'll be so interested to hear more!
I can't believe that Allie is in 3rd grade. She is beautiful! I am glad that things are going well for you.
Post a Comment