Monday, April 6, 2009

Conference Report


This weekend's Conference talks were so uplifting. The kids for the most part stayed in our bedroom and worked on the conference packets I put together for them. Allie did pretty well with taking "summary" notes during the first session (short lines to describe the talk), and then kept getting "bored". Collin spent the time coloring pictures and drawing a variety of trucks and cars. They didn't do a bunch of tally marks this year - I think the 3 pages were too cumbersome to mark the boxes in time -- I will be reworking the sheet again to make it all fit in one page but have the boxes just a little larger. (ahh, just when I think I made things easier and better, my kids prove me wrong!)

As for me: I especially want to re-read and study Elder Holland's talk on the Atonement, Elder Hales message on saving and living within our means, Elder Pearson's talk on faith, Pres. Monson's message of counting the blessings we have of the gospel, and Elder Stevenson's talk on homes and temples.

Elder Stevenson's talk is a very fitting talk to study along with the Mothers Who Know paragrah from last week (nurturers). Specifically, the phrase: Growth happens best in a "house of order," and women should pattern their homes after the Lord's house.

We can make our homes a house of the Lord. He invites us to take a "virtual tour" of our home using spiritual eyes.

1. Walking inside your home, What do you see? How do you feel? Is it a place of love and refuge from the world?

2. Is it clean and orderly?

3. As you walk thru, do you see uplifting images which include appropriate picturesthe Savior and temple?

4. Is your bedroom a place for personal prayer?

5. Is your gathering area (kitchen and dining) a place where food is prepared and enjoyed together allowing uplifting conversation and family time?

6. Are the scriptures found in the room where the family can study, pray and learn together?

7. Can you find a personal gospel study place?

8. Is the music or entertainment you see offend the spirit?

9. Is the conversation uplifting, without contention?

What a great way to take stock/inventory of our homes! I am grateful for the messages we heard this weekend. We are so blessed to have a living prophet and apostles today.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I love seeing kids so engaged in Conference! I also liked that talk. It was a great way to consider how to improve a home and to feel good about the things that are right so far. :o) So many great talks to study! Love it.

Sharlee said...

I loved Elder Stevenson's talk too! It was a good reminder of 1. going to the temple, 2. making your home like a temple which are both very do-able things that have a big impact...