Saturday, September 12, 2009

Purple Ribbon

On the way home from school, I noticed Allie had a purple ribbon pinned on her shirt. I asked her what it was for? And she told me that in school they celebrated Patriot Day and a teacher made purple ribbons for all the kids to pin on their shirt to remember the fallen and living heroes of September 11th.

So she asked me where she was that day? I told her that that day in 2001, we were in New Mexico. She and I had slept in late (usual) and Kevin had left for work earlier. We turned on the TV to watch some cartoons and discovered the devastating news -- that our nation was attacked by our enemies. I sat there and cried, while she toddled around. She was 1. (I couldn't believe I was getting all teary when I was telling her all this!) Yes, she said, their director told them a lot of them weren't even alive when it happened, so he encouraged them to ask their parents about it. Thank you! I am glad they teach this at school. They also celebrated Constitution Week last week and Allie wrote an essay on the 2nd Amendment.

Why purple? Red, white and blue are colors of the day, but some people wear purple ribbons to remember 9/11 because it combines the strength of red and the tranquility of blue and also because it reminds people of The Purple Heart military commendation.

No comments: