Friday, January 14, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

I came across this again today and it is just what I needed to read and make my new year's resolution.


"Mothers who know do less. They permit less of what will not bear good fruit eternally. They allow less media in their homes, less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from their home. Mothers who know are willing to live on less and consume less of the world’s goods in order to spend more time with their children—more time eating together, more time working together, more time reading together, more time talking, laughing, singing, and exemplifying. These mothers choose carefully and do not try to choose it all."

 (Julie B. Beck, “Mothers Who Know,” Ensign, Nov 2007, 76–78)

I certainly could use some slowing-down time, and pace myself so that I just don't let life happen, and neglect the important things.   Only three weeks ago I had Kaden, and the first two weeks were a little difficult but with a very helpful husband and family around, I recovered quickly and now starting to feel like I need to be doing more.  Maybe I shouldn't and maybe I should learn to take naps!   Somehow I always think of things I have to finish and be doing when I have some down time -- I can list a few: photos, finish the office, Maddie and the baby's bedroom (Allie and Collin are staying put), blog books to put together (2 years worth!),  keep track of this year's budget, prepare preschool activities (and get back to teaching it twice a week next month) and all the while keeping up the normal daily routine.  Ah, that's just how it is when you're a mom with lots of projects in her head.

People have asked me  the last three weeks since I had Kaden if "I just feel like I need to get out of the house".  Weird thing is my answer is no.  I have been loving being at home and not go anywhere the last little while.  I have so much I want to do and want to be doing, that between those things and nursing and taking care of the other kids, I really don't have time to be bored or feel like I have cabin fever.  It's a blessing.  Maybe in two weeks I will feel like I seriously need a timeout and go shopping. :)

So how did we do with our last year's resolution? 
  • Last year we started doing morning scripture study instead of at bedtime, and happy to report that it is now part of our morning routine and life isn't the same without reading in the morning.  The other day I actually felt like something was missing when we missed reading a few verses because the kids woke up too late and had to rush out the door for school.    That doesn't happen often (thank goodness!) and  the kids are learning to love to read the scriptures.  We sometimes only have time to read for 15 minutes, but both Allie and Collin want to read so many verses, they literally fight over who gets to read first, and Maddie has recently wanted her own set of scriptures to take to Church.
  • As far as finances, I kept track of all our income and expenses for the 2nd year in a row. I finished our financial summary for the year 2010, which took me a few hours yesterday and today to finish, but feels good to have done.  But not so good to find out that I had blown our budget the last quarter of last year.  Yikes.   I definitely did much better the previous year and determined not to go over budget this year.
  • We started half-birthday dates (yeah!), random lunch dates with the kids, lots of family movie nights.  Date nights were not super regular, we definitely need to get more date nights this year. In the fitness department, we got Allie in soccer!  It's a big accomplishment considering she didn't want anything to do with sports last year.
A few specific goals we set in FHE last week are:
  • Family - Read Pres. Monson's biography.  We started reading, and my love and testimony of Pres. Monson as our prophet today has increased.  The kids are on board with this one, and enjoy hearing Pres. Monson's childhood stories - their favorite is one of him making a mudball with a frog inside and dropping it on his sister's belly and the frog jumped out, scaring his poor sister and her friend.
  • Maddie - learn how to read this year.
  • Allie - to be more organized and helpful around the house. 
  • Collin - read the entire Book of Mormon before he is baptized this year.
  • Me - keep the budget. Enough said.
So here's to 2011's resolution to choose carefully the better, the essential.  Happy New Year!

No comments: