Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Impromptu Costumes...

...that turned out pretty "awesome":  Late Wednesday night last week, Collin and Allie came home with a flyer that said Friday was their last special dress day -- and they would get to wear just about any costume as long as it was a character from their Knowledge-A-Thon bank of questions (think Art Masterpieces artists, historical figures, such as Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Edison, etc).  Collin promptly informed me he wanted to dress up as a Spanish Conquistador. But it being Thursday the next day with preschool from 9 to 3, I didn't have time to run to the store to find a conquistador hat and had no way of making one up! He was pretty bummed about that.  Allie thankfully was simple enough - she wanted to be a scientist.  She found some goggles in the dress up box, and told me she just needed her dad's white shirt for a lab coat.

I finally convinced Collin he could be Paul Revere.  Of course the outfit called for a tri-cornered hat, which we didn't have.  So very late that night (certainly way past my bedtime), I found instructions online and made the hat out of felt and paper.  I didn't know what to think of the finished hat, but was pretty proud of myself as soon as I saw Collin's face light up when he tried it on for the first time.  It wasn't the best hat, you know, but he was happy and so grateful he had a costume.  I love that boy!
 Paul Revere: white Sunday shirt, soccer knee socks, rolled up corduroy trousers, satchel, vest (really a fireman jacket inside out), and tri-cornered hat. Only thing missing is his long brown hair!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks good!