Sunday, January 17, 2010

What I learned in YW

Eight and a half months ago, I was called to Young Women's. YW was the only organization I hadn't served in since I was in YW myself (I had been in RS and Primary for at least the last 10 years!). When I was called, I was nervous and excited at the same time. Nervous because I didn't know what to expect and excited because I knew I could learn what my Allie would be doing when she turns 12. What in the world could I possibly offer?

I went to girls' camp, really one of my very first camping trips away from my family, and enjoyed being with all the girls and leaders even though I was fighting a head cold and was congested the for the 2.5 days and 2 nights I was at camp, the only thing that kept me out of the tent was Angie's (our pres) bag of Sudafed and Benadryl. I hadn't been to real girls' camp, or girls' camp as we know it here in the US (ours was an overnight stay at a beach house (more like a mansion where we got to sleep with the waves lulling us to sleep)). I taught a bunch of lessons and planned a few mutual activities for our Beehives, and learned a whole lot about teenage girls. Pretty fascinating and exciting.

Last week I had a particularly busy week - it seemed like I was stretched in all different directions, and probably close to snapping if I was a rubber band. I had so much on my mind and without a 2nd counselor over me (I have been without one for about 3 months), I was feeling weight on my shoulders as I put on mutual for the beehives. We had lots of fun making hair accessories and it was my last mutual activity with them.

On Saturday (yesterday), I was released from YW, as the YW Presidency was reorganized. It was a complete surprise, especially to our YW President who was unaware of the changes until last week. She was so sad to leave, and so were everyone, to see the past leaders go. As with all other releases, I felt a little sad, but it was also welcome reprieve for me.

Prior to this release, I was dividing my time between preparing for and teaching preschool 4 days a week, 1/4 website work, taking the kids to their various sports and dance practices, preparing lessons for YW, preparing and/or attending mutual, and keeping the usual routine at home - you know, keeping the house clean, grocery shopping, couponing, making dinner, etc - and the night I was feeling "stretched out" to the max, Maddie came down sick with the fever (although that ended up being only an 8 hour virus and was gone in the morning), and on top of that we had a landscaping deal to finalize and close. I almost wished for me to be sick for just 1/2 a day so I can regroup.

That said, I'd like to say Kevin really has been good to me while I had this calling - he would feed the kids dinner (if I had not yet) and I would come to a clean kitchen after dropping the girls home, and the kids would be in bed fast asleep.

The Lord obviously knows me and my family's needs. Because in the process of doing everything, or of trying to do everything, some things have had to give - like coupons, which I haven't clipped since the start of the year, or the photos that are still sitting in my camera, or the not-so-stellar personal scripture study time, feeling like I never have time for anything else but what's on the schedule, scatter-brain and not so patient me, etc.

So on Saturday when I was released, I thought of my 9 beehives and knew I was going to miss being with them every week, but I also felt some weight off my shoulders. Today, though, I shed a few tears when we said our goodbyes. My beehives were in the hallway waiting to get to YWs and as I came closer, one met me and gave me a hug and told me she was going to miss me. The rest started crying so that made me cry, and then I look over at another and see a tear roll down her cheek. So I couldn't help it and started crying too. Oh those girls. I'll miss them. But I know they are in such good hands. I think the new YW Presidencyis a power house! Especially our new Beehive counselor and adviser - they are both my friends, and I know the girls will just love them!

I am grateful for the time in YW. I met some wonderful sisters and learned some great things from each of the leaders I served with. I got to be good friends with my 2nd counselor whom I would have never known we had so much in common if not for having served together for a short 5 months. I learned so much from the girls too. And I got to experience what life would be like for Allie when she turns 12, and what I need to teach her before she is 12. In short, I grew in ways I couldn't have foreseen, and I think I am a better mother and a much better, more rounded person because of it.

And such it is in the Church. Callings come and go. We accept calls when they come, and accept releases when they come. I've always believed the Lord truly knows us - He knows when we need a little stretching or when we need a break. I have learned over the course of callings I have had that He doesn't call me because I am qualified for the calling at hand, or that I am equal to the task, but because I need to learn something. I think that's been the theme of my life. He puts me in situations, be it a calling or be it a station in life for a purpose - it's just up to me to find what that purpose is.

So I will enjoy this time off for a little while. Inasmuch as I loved YW so much, I also missed being in Relief Society - I knew it as soon as I sat there to sing the opening hymn and listen to Sis. Winsor give the lesson. And boy I have missed meeting so many new people too! I am in no hurry to get another calling (is that bad?). :)

2 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for sharing what you learned. I totally agree with you! I think it's neat that you had such a great experience. :)

Kristie said...

My mom told me. I thought the same thing- knowing you would be a little sad to leave it but that it would be a welcome relief to have a few more minutes in your crazy busy life. I don't know how you do it all. You just are blessed with an abundance of talents!