Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I wish I had magic and the 1-second shower

Maddie is one stubborn girl so I have to find many ways to reason with her.  Take these stories, for example: last Saturday morning, Maddie wanted a shower.  Nothing wrong with that.  Except that she had just got out of the bath.  She came to me while I was nursing and asked me to turn the shower on for her.  I told her first she didn't need to shower, and second, even if she could shower, I couldn't get up to turn it on for her.  But she would have none of it.  She turned to Kevin and of course got the same response, so she started screaming and crying and having a meltdown.


Then I had a brilliant idea!  I told Kevin to turn the shower on, only turn it to COLD.   I told Maddie she could shower but it would be cold water since she's already had her share of HOT water that day. I know, pretty lame excuse, but she was fine with that.

Kevin turned on the shower and she stepped in. A whole second later, I hear her say, "ok, I'm done!" and she was happy after that!  She just had to get in that shower.

Next up - the "I wish I had magic" story.  Maddie wanted her sippy cup in this little purse with her books.  She wanted it all zipped up but the sippy cup was too big for the zipper to completely zip up.  Allie gave up trying to convince her it wouldn't work at all.  So she came to me crying, wanting me to fix the problem. while I was in the middle of moving things from the nursery over to her new room.  I kept explaining how it was so big around that the zipper wouldn't work at all.  Again she would have none of it. 

So I broke out my wishing voice and said "well, Maddie, if I had magic, I would make this sippy cup fit in this purse and then zip it up just like that!"  Collin in the background says, "yeah, and if I had magic I would just wave my magic wand and have this room cleaned up fast".  

Well that gave her one big idea.  She looked at me with big eyes, like a light turned on in her head, and said, "Well, Mom, I have a WAND in my room!" She went in a flash and came back with a plastic Snow White wand and said, "Here try this!" Ha!

So what's a mother to do?!  I took the wand, waved it over her purse and said some magical words (gibberish) and then told her the magic didn't work so we will just have to take the sippy cup out and zip it up, and she would just have to hold the sippy cup in her other hand.  And magically this time, she was okay with that.

Oh silly Maddie Moo.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! that is hilarious...what else can you say to maddie? she has all the reasons. she's thinking... (i am still laughing, lol!)

Becca said...

I've gotta try the COLD shower with Tay. She insists on showering 2 to 3 times a day and it's never at convenient times!

Such a doll you've got!!

Coordination Queen said...

I love the cold shower!

TheDickersons said...

LOL... I love magic wand stories from the kids. Jasmine once scared Dylan by telling him that he will turn into a frog if she does magic on him using the wand. And she tricks him... Yeah, that would be nice to wave the wand and have a clean house instantaneously.