Collin was baptized today. It was a nice and wonderful occasion, one that we all looked forward to all year. Last year, when Collin turned 7, we made it a goal as a family to finish reading the Book of Mormon and help Collin with his daily reading so that he got to read the entire book before he got baptized. We finished a couple of months ago, and this past year, I have been taught by my kids - that age 8 is truly the age of accountability -- many times I have heard that at age 8 kids are not old enough to make that choice to be baptized, but I know and been a witness that a young child of 8 can choose on their own to make that choice and to be receptive to the promptings of the Holy Ghost, and that they are not too young to ask if the gospel is true.
Last week was Collin's birthday (post about that later) and the day after that was his interview with the Bishop. He looked really sharp in his suit, and was super excited and a little nervous to get to meet the Bishop. On the way there, he asked me what if he got just one of the questions wrong? So I told him it was not a test, the Bishop just wants to know if he was prepared to be baptized. Bishop and him had a great interview and then I was invited to go in after their interview. Bishop had good things to say about Collin, and about how much he loved home.

Just to remember how tall he was compared to us at his baptism
Allie is really a great big sister to Collin, she teaches (and teases) him alot, but they are the best of friends!
Family and friends who came to support Collin
Collin was one of the three children in our ward to get baptized today. He was so excited to get to be baptized with one of his best friends, Cameron. I love that all the kids getting baptized got up on the stand and sang "When I am Baptized" with the congregation so we could see their beaming faces. Then the actual baptism took place and that went well -- Collin's foot almost stuck out of the water but didn't. He was so glad about that.
Then we all went in the chapel so he could be confirmed a member of the Church and be given the Holy Ghost -- the gift he has been waiting for all this time. That, he said, was the best part about being baptized. Kevin gave him a wonderful blessing (I almost didn't get to hear it because Zane got a bit fussy and loud and needed taken out, luckily Kristie came and got him so I could go back in and hear it). They had the moms bear their testimonies, which I was grateful to get to do, even inspite of the nerves that seem to always come right before I get up to speak.
Kevin's dad got to say the closing prayer and then we all met at home for lunch. The very first thing Collin wanted to do was write in his journal. He spent a few minutes doing that and then played with his friend and cousins. We enjoyed lunch, had a wonderful time visiting with friends and family, and watched his birthday video before family left. What a great day!
It was hot weather again today, so we had Bahama Bucks for dessert! Todd manned this operation and we all ate to our hearts' content. No kidding, we had thirds and fourths.
Collin chose to have turkey and cheese croissant sandwiches and fruit for lunch, and snow cones for dessert. And we had to have some kind of Bahamian thing to represent all my family who couldn't come, even if it be the name "Bahama" only. Ha-ha! Birthday cake, pina colada, and blue raspberry, and top it all off with creme. Yum!
Love this one of Maddie!
The Baptism program:











2 comments:
Congratulations, Collin!
What a special day!! Cute announcements Rinna!!
Post a Comment