Saturday, November 5, 2011

Old Post: Halloween Weekend 2010

Post draft from November 5, 2010.
Saturday we had two soccer games to go to.  Kevin took Allie to her game and I went to watch Collin's game in the afternoon.  Allie's team lost again, they just couldn't get a win this season.  Collin's team lost, too, but Collin SCORED the one and only goal for his team, Blue Lightning.  That was a first for him!  Of course, he just acted like nothing happened, didn't even show a speck of emotion!  I wish I had my camera to capture the look on his face.  The goalie was a really good player too but for a split second he got distracted and turned his back and Collin just happened to be right there and kicked that ball in the goal!

After lunch Kevin and I painted the laundry room so we could put the mudroom bench in place.  Then I went pumpkin-hunting.  Kevin had gone to Walmart early in the morning to do grocery shopping for me, and said there weren't any pumpkins left at the Santan Walmart.  The kids were determined to carve pumpkins, though, so I just had to go and find something for them to carve.

So off I went.  I stopped at Fresh and Easy, Target, and another Walmart and there was NOT any in sight.  Fry's I heard was out too so I didn't bother going there.  Then I remembered Vertuccio Farms.  It was only a mile away from where I was so I went and there were tons of pumpkins left!  I got two pretty ones, one was pretty smooth and round, the other one had "warts" - which I liked because it was Halloweeny.   I figured Maddie didn't care for her own pumpkin so I just got two, one each for Allie and Collin.  I got home and of course I was wrong.  First thing Maddie said was "Where's mine?"  Luckily it was easy for me to convince her we were doing BOY and GIRL jack-o-lanterns so all she had to do was help Allie and I do ours.  I let Kevin and the kids do all the cleaning and carving while I took pictures.

And an hour or so later, we had 2 jack-o-lanterns!  We put glow sticks in them instead of candles this year (not really on purpose, I just couldn't remember where my tea lights were).

I don't remember living in a place where Halloween is celebrated on a Sunday - so it was quite a surprise that we didn't get any trick-or-treaters on Saturday night here - when we lived in Utah, if Halloween fell on a Sunday we got the slew of kids on Saturday night.  It was just a given.  Anyway, I racked my brain for ideas on how to celebrate Halloween while still keeping the Sabbath.  We decided that we didn't feel comfortable trick-or-treating on a Sunday, so our kids stayed home, and handed out candy to the neighborhood trick or treaters.   We had Kevin's family over for a halloween themed Sunday dinner.  Megan made a cheese ball that looked like a jack-o-lantern, and Kristie made a yummy halloween drink which I will call Bloody Punch.  The weather was nice so we sat out front in our courtyard and visited while the trick-or-treaters came.  We had a fun time with cousins and family.  No one complained or asked why they didn't get to go trick-or-treating on Halloween Night -- the candy they got from Friday's trunk or treat was more than enough, and a week later, we still have a bunch of candy leftover!

No comments: