Tuesday, February 5, 2008

How Wonderful this Church is!


This last week has been quite an experience for all of us. It started the other Sunday when we heard Pres. Hinckley had passed away. My first reaction was that of peace and gratitude. I was happy that he was now with his wife, first and foremost, and I was so grateful for the organization of the Church -- how I didn't even have to think twice or wonder what was going to happen next. We broke the news to the kids who simply said, "that's because he's an old person". (!)
Pres. Hinckley was the only prophet I ever really knew; my family was baptized in 1994, when Pres. Howard W. Hunter was president. Only a few months later, Pres. Hunter passed away -- and I didn't really understand why members of the Church in the Bahamas were so saddened by his death. This last week, as the news of Pres. Hinckley's death settled more deeply, I understand.
On Friday Kevin and I planned to go to his viewing with our three kids. When we got there, the line was so long - they had a few lines going and weaving all around the outside of the Conference Center. Volunteers/media workers came around and told us it was a 4-hour wait (2 hours outside, 2 hours once you got inside the building). We were in line for well over an hour before Maddie needed to nurse and the kids needed to go to the bathroom. It then was 8 p.m. and we would have to wait another estimated 2 to 2 1/2 hours before we could even get a glimpse of Pres. Hinckley. An hour later, we decided to go home, as the lines were still so long, and the kids needed dinner. We finally got home around 10:30 p.m. Even though we didn't get to see him, it was a good experience to witness the great love and respect everyone had for the prophet, and to feel the spirit of the occassion, even at a distance. We should have gone on Thursday!!!
Although the news reports say there were still thousands waiting to see him at 10 p.m., I wish we would have stayed and braved the cold and the 2.5 more hours of standing in line to see him. Maybe that's just because I miss Pres. Hinckley, and that was my last chance to see him. We watched the funeral proceedings on Saturday, and like many, we felt we had just lost a father. We will truly miss Pres. Hinckley!
On Monday, I watched as Pres. Monson was formally announced as the new prophet. What a great experience for a convert like me to see how the Church works! I am looking forward to the many years Kevin and I will get to teach the kids about their new Prophet, Pres. Monson.

No comments: