Friday, May 18, 2012

Pinewood Derby

Collin got to participate in his first pinewood derby on March 28th (yes I know, I am super behind with the posts!).   He was so excited from the time he got the kit at pack meeting a few weeks before.  He knew what kind of design he wanted to do.  It was a fun little project for him to do.  The Merrills had their derby around the same time as ours so they invited Kevin and Collin to join them in the workshop - Adam has the experience and tools with 2-3 boys in cub scouts at the same time for a few years now, so that was great and so helpful for Kevin and Collin!  Thanks, Adam! Pictures from their work over at the Merrills are still on Kevin's phone - so I will add them to this post when I get them.

I took Collin to get decals for his car.  He just knew how he wanted to decorate this baby.

Now it is ready to race!  Graphite on the wheels!
It was one crazy day - with Kevin being out of town for a few days that week.  Of course, as luck would have it, his flight was delayed coming in that afternoon, so he barely made it to the derby! Anyway, Grandma Lorraine and Pop came to watch - it was quite a show.  Collin won 3 of the 5 races he was in, and only lost to 2 of the top 3 cars.  There were 33 cars total!
 I like how the kids are pointing to which car they thought had won.  Collin's actually beat Luigi according to the photo below.
But the numbers tell the truth - Collin's car went thru first.
Collin and his friend Cameron

Another race he won 
Best Showmanship award. We love scouts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GREAT job Collin! ...he is very creative. I'm glad that you were able to take pictures.