Monday, December 31, 2012

Mason's Birth

Yeah! I am finally getting to writing a post of what has kept me away from updating my blog for a few months now: Mason - our new baby, the fifth of the bunch.  Here is a walk through memory lane.  I never take pictures of me while I am pregnant, because I feel like I look like a big whale!  But I figured I probably should, at least, for memories sake.  I may not be pregnant with another one again - so Allie took some of me every time she had a chance.  And I'm glad I did.  It brings back memories of my growing little miracle - I love that feeling.
23 weeks
24 and 24.5 weeks
28 weeks

Unfortunately for me my last 8 weeks of pregnancy are always hard - I had bad carpal tunnel with Maddie and Zane, and couldn't sleep at all, and those didn't cease until 6 weeks postpartum.  This time I was glad cp didn't come, but Mason sat wrong on my pelvic bone, and was so heavy I could feel pain every time I walked that last two or three weeks.  It hurts to think about that.  But somehow I managed and made myself walk around to induce labor but he didn't want to come until he was absolutely ready and almost 10 pounds! Here are my last 6 weeks (5):
35 Weeks
36 Weeks - Baby was estimated to weigh 7.5 lbs at the ultrasound Dr. Beck did at my 36-week appointment
38 weeks - I was expecting the baby any day, and hoping he would just come before he weighed 10 pounds!  Kevin gave me a blessing one night, and I felt extra strength and ability to do everything else I needed to do at home.  He always gives me a blessing right before I have our babies, and what a blessing it is to have a righteous priesthood holder at home whom I can call on for help and to blessed by when I need it.
39 Weeks.  I took the girls on a photo shoot for Maddie's 5th birthday.  
This was the day before I went in the hospital to have Mason.

Birth Day:

I was supposed to go in at 5 a.m. on Sunday, Dec 16 to be induced.  The night before, I got a call from the hospital telling me not to come in unless they call as they were backed up and had 2 women in front of me for induction.  I felt like I should stay home and get ready, in case they called.  Kevin took the kids to church, while I got myself ready for the day.  I had just showered when the hospital called and asked if I was ready to come in, if I had showered, and ate breakfast.  Yes. Yes. and Yes.  I was so excited to finally get to go have this baby! I texted Kevin (who was in Sacrament Meeting) and let him know they needed to come home so we could go to the hospital.
At 9:15 they were finally home and after saying my goodbyes (and I don't know why I always get teary when I am about to have a child!), we were off to the hospital.  Allie decided to come and witness this birth this time!! I hoped everything would go well so she can have a great experience.
Allie and I are hurrying, Kevin wanted me to stop and take one more photo before I went in.

We got there around 10 a.m. and within 1 hour they had me all hooked up to IV's but no epidural.  My contractions weren't strong enough, and I measured around a 5.  More Pitocin.  Dr. Beck was at church, so they just planned on giving me my epidural around the time he would be done with church (which was around 2), so that when he got there, he would just break my water and then I can deliver the baby.  Well, more waiting - the nurses didn't check my progress as much as I remembered them doing last pregnancy.  By 230, Dr Beck came to break my water even though I hadn't gotten my epidural yet.  My contractions got harder but nothing unmanageable until it got close to the time I got my epidural.  The nurses called my bag of waters a flood, which literally just kept coming and coming.  I instantly felt lighter after that. haha.  My epidural came around 3 p.m. and they said we had to wait another 30 minutes before they checked me again.


Allie on the phone (of course) waiting while I was in labor
In the meantime, my mom and Lorraine were supposed to be coming over to witness the birth too. Kevin was unsure as to when they should come over, we just texted to let them know Dr Beck had just broken my water.   They didn't expect it to go so fast though.  At 345, I measured a 9, and they called Dr. Beck in.  Lorraine just barely left her house to go pick my mom up from my house.  15 minutes seemed like it came too fast.  I took a picture of the clock before I started pushing.  I was a little sad my mom and Lorraine were going to miss the birth, and there was nothing we could do to wait for them to come.   Well, okay, maybe I should have asked Dr Beck to stall it, but you know that just wouldn't go over so well I think.
At 4:14, Mason Zachary came into the world, looking buff, strong, and well, big!!  He weighed 9 lbs 11.5 oz and 21.5 inches long.  Love this picture of the scale that Allie took:
I'll let the rest of the pictures do the talking, a little graphic, but I love the photos Allie took:





Kevin cutting the umbilical cord






Over the years Dr. Beck has gotten more personable and friendly!  
Our first picture with Mason.
The next three are of Zane meeting Mason for the very first time:


Maddie meeting Mason for the first time
Zane missed me and didn't know what to think about all the IV's and me in a hospital gown.  He just crawled into my bed and snuggled next to me.  It melted my heart.  
My mom came and helped me get on my feet - thank you so much Mama for coming, even though you missed it by a hair!  She came and stayed til after Christmas, and made me breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day.  And took very good care of the rest of the kids too.  What would I have done without her here?
I love this picture of the best girls in my life: my mom, my other mother Lorraine, Allie, and Maddie
Five seems like a lot. Until you take a photo and then it doesn't look like much.

My great other parents, Jack and Lorraine.  It has been so nice to live right by them.  I love them!
Haha. I think Zane just smacked Kevin.
Our family of 7. Told you it doesn't seem so big.










All clean!!





Allie instagramming!
Well the visit went over really well and they left just in time for me to be moved over to the recovery room. Luckily they didn't stay to watch, because when the nurses went to help me up to go to the bathroom before moving to the other room, I passed out and lost consciousness for 5 minutes, according to Kevin.  I only thing I remember was smelling alcohol, blacking out, then smelling ammonia, then being half responsive, being laid on the bed, more smelling salts, and then coming out of it and eating crackers and peanut butter.  They had me stay in the delivery room for another couple of hours while they called Dr. Beck for instructions.  I was bleeding way more than needed so they gave me a shot to stop it, and more pitocin to contract my uterus faster.  Nurses didn't allow me to use the bathroom on my own (legs) all night and the next day.  Too bad for me the IV's were also left in just in case, as I experienced chest tightening and couldn't breathe every time I got up.  Crazy how the birth itself was so easy, until that happened and recovery was a lot less easy this time around.  They had me eat two dinners just to be safe I wasn't going to pass out again, and Kevin stayed with me and slept on the hard couch for two nights.  I know that man loves me - he took very good care of me and never said anything about being tired or hungry.  We were released on the 18th of December: two days before our 15th anniversary, 4 days til Zane's 2nd birthday, and a week before Christmas. I think this maybe the last Christmas baby we will ever have! 
Mason getting his hearing test. He passed in one ear and failed the other.

He didn't know what to think of the bottle.
Day 1  - 24 hours old!

2nd round of hearing tests. This time he failed the ear he passed yesterday and passed the other. 
All bundled up ready to go home!
 Home at last and super hungry!
Maddie wanted to feed him right away!


Zane wanted to help change diapers
 I love the squishy face!!
We love our new addition!!!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Congratulations, Rinna! Wow. I cannot believe how big he was, especially with how tiny you are! You look amazing and beautiful! Your family is beautiful. I am so happy for you guys!

Mimi Collett said...

Congratulations, Rinna! You are such a cute pregnant mama! I think it is really cool that your oldest daughter wanted to be there. What a great experience to share.