Monday, March 23, 2009

Mothers Who Know - Week 2


These are my kids racing towards sunset in Taylor yesterday. To me, this photo describes exactly how I feel about my responsibility and privilege to honor my covenants, so that I can help point them towards the temple. I hope they will feel as happy and excited (about the temple, the gospel) as they were when I took this photo. Here is the section I will be focusing on this week:

Mothers Who Know Honor Sacred Ordinances and Covenants

Mothers who know honor sacred ordinances and covenants. I have visited sacrament meetings in some of the poorest places on the earth where mothers have dressed with great care in their Sunday best despite walking for miles on dusty streets and using worn-out public transportation. They bring daughters in clean and ironed dresses with hair brushed to perfection; their sons wear white shirts and ties and have missionary haircuts. These mothers know they are going to sacrament meeting, where covenants are renewed. These mothers have made and honor temple covenants. They know that if they are not pointing their children to the temple, they are not pointing them toward desired eternal goals. These mothers have influence and power.

What can I do to point my children to the temple? These are what came to my mind first:

1. Go to the temple. If my children see that their parents attend the temple regularly and make time for it, then it will also be important to them.
2. Teach them about the temple. How? - tell them about the day we were married in the temple, special memories, visit temple grounds, etc.
3. Teach them the importance of Sacrament meeting. How? - manner of dress and how to behave during Sacrament meeting, be on time for Sacrament meeting. Help them to understand that Sacrament meeting is a place to renew covenants (do they know what that means?)

4 comments:

Jen said...

Cool picture, Rinna! What a great topic to study this week! I like your ideas!

Kristie said...

What a cute picture!

Basarabas said...

What a great post.

Shanda said...

I love this! I'm joining the challenge if that's ok! I've been wanting to implement her talk into my life, and I think this is the best way to do it! Thanks Rinna, Jen & Brooke!