Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Snowflake Weekend

Last week was Spring Break. We loved having no schedules to keep! The first few days of the break we had a great St Patty's day, watched movies and I even got some house painting done. We decided to go to Snowflake for the weekend (Kevin's idea) so Friday afternoon we drove up there to enjoy the cooler weather. We were lucky the wind decided NOT to blow on Friday or Saturday while we were up there. We enjoyed dinner at Trapper's on Friday night (the coconut cream pie was yummy!), and then the next day it was the Snowflake Temple, Show Low, Pinetop area, a trip to the barber shop where we met a very interesting lady barber who was Filipino-Hawaiian, then to the local carnival. The kids had never been to a local carnival before, so they were very excited about going there. So after lunch at Eva's Cocina and a little nap, we were off.


The kids went on the Berry Go Round, then Collin and Kevin went on the ferris wheel. Collin wanted to go on it, but after the ride was over, he told me he didn't like the way his stomach "went in" every time the ferris wheel was on its way down! Then our daring Allie and her equally daring Dad decided they were going on the Zipper! Pretty scary if you ask me. They get you in this cage and then it goes up, down, around all the while you're in the cage that also spins around depending on the pull of gravity (at least that's how I saw it from below!). I couldn't believe Allie was up for that! She said it was the "freakiest" ride she's ever been on. I was surprised she didn't throw up. It is a good thing Kevin would go on those carnival rides with the kids because I don't do very well with those kind of rides! Too chicken.



On Sunday we went to church at the historic building on Main Street (the chapel was full, so we went upstairs and watched church through the big glass window of the crying room). We also spent time visiting Grandma Weez's and Marley's graves and got to visit with Kevin's aunt Peggy and uncle Terry. They are always so fun to talk with. We planned on stopping to take photos at the Sunrise Dairy and farm (Kevin's grandma's dairy, still owned by the Hatch family) but it was so windy we just hurried on over to Peg and Terry's. Then we went home via the Salt River Canyon - Globe way which we found to be 15-30 minutes faster than going thru Payson. It was a fun and relaxing trip!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Cool pictures, Rinna! You look great in that photo with your kids (as always!) I'm probably related to Kevin somewhere down the lines if he's from that area. My dad's family a few generations back helped to settle St. John's AZ (about an hour from Show Low). My great-grandmother (mom's side) is a Hatch. Both my parents' families are from AZ. :o)

Sharlee said...

What a fun trip! I want to go to Snowflake and Showlow and Globe and Pinetop...I had so many fun times in those places! I am so excited for Spring Break... no schedule, just play. As long as it gets warmed up! PS Your pictures are all SO cute!