Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Wee Bit O' Fun

Our annual St. Patrick's celebrations started last night. Allie planned a little party for us - but she ended up sick with the flu yesterday. I went ahead and bought some party cups and hats so she felt like her party was still on, even though she was so sick. She felt better around dinner time - so she showered and dressed in green. She had made cute invitations for us on Sunday and invited Grandma Lorraine and Pop to come and have "a wee bit o' fun". I made beef and broccoli (the only thing I could think of that was green and that everyone liked to eat) for dinner, and Grandma and Pop brought over some green koolaid and green sugar cookies. It was quite funny to see everyone in hats (Kevin didn't wear his until FHE). For FHE, we read "St. Patrick's Day" by Gail Gibbons. It was interesting to read about the origins of the holiday, and the symbols associated with it.
Dinner last night; the kids on the hunt for leprechaun loot; their green treats
Today, the kids woke me at 6 a.m. - they discovered the leprechauns had left a trail of green and gold coins and green shadows on the bedroom doors. I quickly grabbed the Mino and my camera and filmed them as they followed the trail downstairs. There was gold glitter on the floors, and the kitchen was a huge mess. They found all the green treats the leprechauns had left. There were a few that were a little tricky to find. This year they left some stuffed frogs up in the chandelier, on top of the floor lamp, and treats under the rug! Allie kept saying how they were very tricky this year! The last place they looked was the laundry room, where they found the laundry spilled on the floor and a bag for each of them in the dryer. Glitter was on the floor too.

gold coins and glitter on the floor and green breakfast this morning

We went back upstairs to enjoy the treats and a little bit more sleep. We're so lucky this week is Spring Break, so we had lots of time to lay around and talk before breakfast. The kids named their new stuffed frogs Patrick and Maewyn (believed to be St Patrick's real name), and also gave Grandma's croaky frog a new name - Croaky O' Mallie. I fell asleep while watching them pretend their frogs were real. When I woke back up, I found out Maddie had gobbled up quite a few green m&m's and peeps. We gave her the spiky rubber ball from the leprechauns, but she didn't like it very much! It was funny to watch her dodge the ball and run away. The kids got a kick out of throwing her the ball!

Later, we had green pancakes for breakfast, to go along with the green milk (it turned green again this year). Then we quickly cleaned up the mess and vacuumed up the glitter before it got all over everything. As I walked by (the kids were watching TV), I heard Collin say to Allie, "don't you wish every day was just like today?" The mess was all worth it!

4 comments:

Jen said...

What a blast! I love your pictures! You have that knack of making things (especially your place settings) look so professional! The leprechauns really got you guys good! Very tricky, indeed! They must be especially creative in your neck of the woods :o)

Jake & Abby Gardner said...

How cool! I've been meaning to tell you that the years you guys have been been married was wrong for weeks now..I think I saw it at 19 at one point!

LUKE AND MONICA said...

You are so creative! I love it! Looks like tons of fun. Your kids are so adorable! I like Lorraine's get-up with the glasses and all.

Mimi Collett said...

That sounds like a wonderful day!