Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Square Foot Garden, finally!

Maddie and cousin Parker, who spent the time toddling around. Parker was so cute with his screwdriver pretending to fix Collin's plastic lawnmower, and helping with the boxes. Collin also helped drill in some screws and had fun watching. Allie was at sewing class.

The 4 x 4 box is 2 feet off the ground. Chad's (background) is 3 feet tall, perfect so you won't have to bend. I wanted the kids to be able to reach and be able to garden themselves.
----

I have wanted to do square foot gardening about 2 years ago, when a friend of mine tried it out and vouched for its effectiveness. But it wasn't until this week that it actually happened. Kevin's dad spearheaded a grow box making project being the great handyman that he is. So this last Friday, when he was off from work, he went and bought all the materials, and spent a few hours making one for us and one for Chad and Megan.

We were expecting to put together the boxes when we got to their house on Saturday morning, so we were pleasantly surprised to see a very nice grow box ready for Kevin and Chad to finish up the plastic sheeting and apply linseed oil to make the boxes waterproof. Then the three of them mixed up the special dirt mix. We all enjoyed lunch together after that. It was so nice of Pop to help us get our grow box made. Thank you!!! (See the perks of living here?) He even delivered the grow box the next day since we live only two minutes away.

Today Kevin filled the grow box with the dirt and I planted a tomato plant and a cabbage plant (Allie's project). We are going to the store to get a few seeds and the kids will get to choose 3-4 plants each to take care of. Kevin thinks it will be too hot for something to grow in there but he will change his mind when we start seeing the harvest in a few months! Then he'll be an avid gardener after that. :)

3 comments:

Jen said...

How exciting! Those look super nice! I can't wait to see them with the dirt and plants in them! How cool!!! I love how you've designed it so the kids can take part in it. Nice work!

Coordination Queen said...

That is so exciting! We finally got our raised beds today, so I guess we'll be planting blueberry & raspberry bushes on Saturday! :)

Sharlee said...

I'm so jealous! That's exactly what I want to do for our garden... what's Kevin's dad doing next month?