Monday, April 26, 2010

32!

It was such a busy weekend to turn 32!  It was great, because for the last year I thought I was 32 so now I was just really making it all official.  Collin reminded me quite a few times that I was only 31.

Here are the highlights of my birthday week-end:

I had planned on a girls night out type of birthday since Collin and Kevin had a Fathers and Sons Campout planned, but it got cancelled the last minute due to snow - so nice surprise to find out they were going to be home after all!

Bree and Andrew spent the weekend with us.  While we were driving together all 7 of us, Kevin and I looked at each other and I told him this could be seriously our family - a 13 yr old, a 10 yr old, 8 yr old, 6 yr old, and little 2 yr old.  Hilarious!  I wouldn't mind 2+ more kids.  Seriously.  But Kev's good with whatever we have.  And then of course there are days when I am good with the 3 we have. :)

We got together for mine and Chad's family birthday dinners the Sunday before last.  It was great to have everyone all together.  This was us at our birthday candles blowing routine, cake courtesy of my s-i-l Megan.

On my birthday, there were a few thoughtful presents, but these two top the cake:  1:) Collin woke me up with a box for me to open.  It was a homemade card and trinkets gathered from all over the house.  They were cool though - a green plastic bead necklace, a plastic pink ring, a butterfly necklace and a sponge curler.  So funny.  2:)  Allie gave me a giant candy bar, that she proudly announced she bought with her own money.


And birthdays wouldn't be complete without your whole host of friends and family to help you celebrate right?  Nothing beats that.  So, Lorraine, Kristie, and the kids and I went to Joe's Farm Grill for lunch.  Then my friend Alisyn and I went on a fun shopping and ice cream trip that night.  Kevin was so nice to watch all 5 kids, including Bree and Andrew who were staying with us for the weekend.  Our date will have to wait til this week (looking forward to it!).  Thanks to everyone who wished me happy birthday on facebook and also called me up on the phone.

On a sad note though, my mom's mom (Mama Rina) also passed away on my birthday.  She was 85.  It was just time for her to go.  We didn't get to see her much the last 20 something years, since she lives all the way back in the Philippines, but I remember her being a great cook and great homemaker.  spotless house. spotless clothes. spotless bathroom.  the best strawberry jam ever.  I am sure she is having a grand old time in heaven now. I know we will see her again someday.  I love this gospel truth!

Saturday morning Kevin and the boys (Collin and Andrew) went to the Fathers and Sons breakfast at Church so the girls and I decided to run over to Krispy Kreme to get donuts for breakfast.  They voted to eat in and watch the donuts being made and enjoy breakfast there.  While we were there, I called Kevin to see if they wanted to come and crash our breakfast, but the girls were not up for that -  "This is a girls only breakfast!".

In the afternoon, we took all 5 of them to watch "How to Train Your Dragon".   It was such a good movie, probably the best we've seen this year, and I can't wait until it comes out on DVD!  After the movie, we split, we girls went to the girl shops and the boys went to get some ice cream and the hat store.  Bree and Allie got them matching hairclips.

Maddie is such a hoot with that crinkly smile of hers.  I don't have very many photos of just her and me, so I like this one of her and me on my birthday. She's almost as big as me!

The girls talked me into doing a spa night with them after dinner.  That we did.  We soaked our feet in foot fizz, scrubbed our heels, painted our nails and I let them use my special lotion.  Maddie came and joined us and got her nails all painted too. Of course she wouldn't miss that one for the world.  The girls kept saying how it was so fun to get to do that.  So maybe the teenage years won't be too bad?  Girl talk is awesome.  Just think of the girl comments on the following topics - how fingers turn to toes, if pink fingernail polish matches a yellow dress, and if boys wore nail polish and went to a spa, how would that be?  So that wraps up Saturday for us. Too bad I was too lazy to go down and get my camera to take photos of our spa night.

Sunday we had a quiet day at home.  Collin wanted to eat cinnamon rolls so we made some from scratch. Obviously it doesn't happen all the time because I took pictures! :)  It was such a long process and the kitchen was a whole mess!  They all wanted to roll the dough and pat the dough and sprinkle the sugar and flour.  By the time the bread and rolls were done, I was done too!  I was dreading going back downstairs to clean it up, but very excitedly found a spotless kitchen.  Kevin had done it all for me.  He's a keeper.

The End.

7 comments:

Jen said...

Wow! You have really been busy! I'm tired just reading this! Happy Birthday!

Jake & Abby Gardner said...

Those cinnamon rolls look so yummy!

TheDickersons said...

I want some bread and cinnamon rolls!

TheDickersons said...

Oh, yeah, I remember those homemade strawberry jams! They're the best I've had.

Shanda said...

Happy Birthday Rinna! I'm sorry I missed wishing you Happy Birthday on the day of! Maddie looks like a lot of fun! Wish I could have been there to celebrate with you!

Kristie said...

Yum- a treat is sounding really good and those cinnamon rolls are looking good!

Danny and Aireen said...

I want your recipe for cinnamon rolls please!!!