Thursday, April 15, 2010

"Practice" Recital

 Waiting for her turn

Allie signed up to play the Spanish piano piece "Malaguena" at her school's talent show.  A song she can play with her eyes closed.  It was a minute of full-on nerve racking experience!  She is still convinced that it was bad because she didn't nail the awesome-sounding triplet sequence at the end.  She acted like it was no big deal earlier today... so we talked and I tried to convince her that although it was not perfect, she showed off her great piano skills AND she was brave, AND it was also great practice for the big piano recital in May.  I know I for one would have a hard time doing that.

When she wasn't too convinced, I asked her to find 3 good things about her experience today - because I truly believe there is always good to be found in everything.  She answered, "just the beefy 5-layer burrito".  Food always help make everything better!  "Malaguena" is now on her blacklist, however.  Before running off to bed she played a part of this piece (half), which she just started learning on Tuesday:



From the sound/looks of it, I think she'll be fine!  Thanks to Grandma Lorraine and Macey for coming to watch.  Go Allie!

For you performers out there, any tips on calming those nerves down and prepping your emotions for a recital? 

With Macey;

Allie and I after the show

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

keep practicing allie, i know you will nail it! you're doing GREAT!

Shanda said...

Allie, wow! You are playing so well! And to learn your song so fast...that is AMAZING! Performance nerves, say a prayer before you play. I bet you sounded great.