Saturday, October 3, 2009

My Canning Days

I've canned quite a few things this year, and haven't blogged about them! I kept waiting to take photos of the jars, but never got to it. Maybe I'll take a photo of the peaches before I put them away. Yeah, it's been a week and it's still sitting on my countertop. And dwindling in numbers (Kevin loves them out of the jar, so much,that we have already opened 6 quarts since I canned them, made peach cobbler out of them, etc).

Again, for my memory's sake: So far this year, my friend and canning buddy Mindy and I have canned over 100 pints of chicken, ground beef, sausage, beans, 56 quarts of apple pie filling, 112 pints of potatoes, and our latest is 90+ pounds of peaches. Last Friday we canned the peaches. It was our FIRST time canning peaches, I was pretty impressed that we only had 2 non-sealing pints altogether, and we had it going pretty smoothly and organized well that we were done in time for dinner and swimming. I did the pitting and taking off the skin, and Mindy manned the syrup and the jars.

Mindy and I are thinking we need to can MORE fruit. So next on our list (MAYBE, depending on, if we feel like it) are pears. We think if we use an apple peeler/corer to do the dirty work, it'll be easier than peaches (the apples were messy, so the peaches were easy, relatively speaking). There you have it. I learned so much about canning this year! Lots of great conversation and fun with a friend. And a growing food storage to boot.

2 comments:

Suni said...

Way to go on the canning!! Its a lot of work!! You got to take a picture of all of it!!

Becca said...

I am dying to learn how to can. My family has always done it. I cannot believe how much you did...that's amazing!