Monday, December 7, 2009

On the 7th Day of Christmas - the Ladder

The ladder stands for Jacob, who married Rachel, had 12 sons and later becomes Israel. One night he had a dream in which he saw himself on the earth at the foot of a ladder that reached to heaven where the Lord stood above it. The rungs on the ladder stood for the covenants he made with the Lord that he himself would have to climb in order to obtain eternal life. We talked about a few "rungs" that enable us to return to Heavenly Father.

Collin whispered, "Oh I know what tonight's ornament is. It's the ladder." Uh-huh, I said.

Then as quickly as I turned, he added, "so is that why it's called The Church of Jesus Christ of Ladder-Day Saints?"

Oh I almost laughed out loud. But I didn't.

On a more serious note, Allie had her big thinking cap on tonight. After she mentioned that baptism was one of the "rungs" on that ladder, she made a connection between the 12 tribes of Israel and the 12 oxen found holding up the baptismal font in the temple. We had been to the Oquirrh Mtn Temple open house back in the summer and she remembered that she had seen them there. So that opened up another short discussion on the gathering of the 12 tribes and baptism, and that baptism really is a very important part of that gathering in the latter-days. Big thinking cap she has, I know.

** Timmy flew up really high and the kids and I found him on top of the window valance in the kitchen! Oh and no outdoor lights FHE for us. It's been rainy and cold all day.

1 comment:

TheDickersons said...

So,you didn't laugh out loud? I bet you were trying to keep a straight face on! That was funny. We laughed out loud.

Sounds like a good discussion.