Thursday, December 31, 2009

Christmas Day 2009


...started very early. Late night Christmas Eve, my sisters and I were up late wrapping presents and visiting. We finally called it a night at 2:30 a.m. I think Santa and his elves came right after that. I must have been in deep sleep, didn't hear any of the elves or Santa.

At 3:30 a.m. I woke up to the kids' (Allie, Collin and Jasmine) excited voices, ooh-ing and ahh-ing at all that Santa brought them. I didn't want to miss seeing their excited faces so I got up (after an hour of sleep, ha!) and took some pictures and video. My sister woke up too so we stayed up for about half an hour before I decided I needed some good zzz's. Woah, that was a first. Last year, the kids woke up around 4 a.m. but my mom got them to go back to bed, and they didn't wake til 6 or 7 a.m.

At around 9 a.m. (and some of us finally dressed), we started our our sausage and egg bake breakfast, while Andrea and I played elves and divied the presents up into piles (as per tradition). We two were the only ones who knew where the "secret tags" were! I had my camera ready to go and handed the video over to Kevin to man.

Maddie was so excited about this rose petal cottage from her Grandma and Pappi. She would go in the house, peek out the door and say "Hi Guys!". The other three kids thought it was so cool, they played in it the entire day! She was also in love with the play hair and beauty stuff and new Tag books for her Tag Junior.

Collin's list this year was short and sweet, to the point. The pictures don't show it, but he was so eager and excited to open the big Santa sack and find that Santa brought him the CSX Warbonnet electric train set that he had been oogling over for a couple of months at least.

He also got an electronic basketball hoop that hangs over the door for some extra practice (not pictured). He is having so much fun with the Tag Reader and lots of books to go with it too. Collin hasn't found a reading series that he likes to read, the Tag pen has helped him read the books over and over again.

These two exchanged presents this year (tradition). Collin picked out a couple of lovely hair accessories that Allie loved and Allie gave Collin this metal die-cast race car that she bought with hard earned tickets at school. She spent almost all of her tickets on this prize toy because she knew Collin would just love it. And she was right! Collin played with it every hour of the day.

Grandma Lorraine and Pop came over a little while later and delivered more presents. Us and the kids were just in heaven with the stuff they brought over. I was especially happy about the new knife set - they always tell me I have dull knives (TRUE! I had the same set from when we were married. Who does that? Apparently me.) And Kevin and I got matching sleeping bags to go with Kevin's new tent (that we are going to try out when we have a backyard, hmm. maybe.) We were glad Pop could come too - he had just had shoulder surgery two days prior and wasn't feeling good the night before.


A little while later, when it was least expected, Santa dropped off Allie's present - an electric scooter with FULLY charged batteries (we're guessing the elves were a little slow getting it assembled so hence it was a little late). Allie was so excited and was so glad that Santa did bring her the #1 thing on her wish list. She and Jasmine got American Girl dolls, that they both just love. They actually did an AG fashion show a few days later.

Our traditional Christmas dinner at around 5 p.m. with my siblings and Gma & Pop and Chad and Megan. Kevin, Archie, Andrea and Collin went to the Suns game, while the rest of us tried out the Wii and Wii Fit. While watching the Suns game on TV, we heard some bells ringing and thought they were carolers or something.

So we check it out and guess who came??? Yep, SANTA!!



The kids were oh so surprised and didn't really know what to think. He gave some presents out, and I guess our elf Timmy (and Jaz's elf Buddy) passed along the request for him to come and visit for a little while. Then just like that, he left and was gone. In the meantime the Merrills came and as soon as Santa left, they all ran upstairs to see where he'd go. Then Allie and Cade come running downstairs and gave their stamp of approval: "He's legit. He's real!" Todd came by a little while later and we all played the wii some more. Todd was awesome on the wii fit, he just made it look easy to land on targets while flapping his arms like a bird.

It just seemed like yesterday Christmas happened! As I write this post, the Christmas decorations are put away and the house is back to usual, and ready for school to start. I'm not. But glad and thankful we had a good Christmas and looking forward to a great new year.

No comments: